Wrestlers Not So Lucky but Boxers Keeping the Dream Alive
- Darkhan Bayakhmetov lost his bronze medal match to Belarussian Mikhail Semenov in Greco-Roman wrestling today. He takes 5th place in the 66kg category.
- Asset Immanbayev also lost his match to Armenia’s Roman Amoyan in the 55kg category of Greco-Roman wrestling, failing to make it to the quarterfinals.
- Zulfiya Zabirova was in third place when she finished the women’s cycling time trials today. But in the end, her time was 1:37.75 behind the winner, Kristin Armstrong of the US. Zabirova finished 9th.
- On to the good news: Birzhan Zhakupov beat Pal Bedak of Hungary in a close match (7:6) in the light-flyweight category. If he beats Armenia’s Hovhannes Danielyan he goes on to the quarterfinals!
- In the superheavy weight (91kg) category, Ruslan Myrsatayev enters the quarterfinals and faces Zhilei Zhang from China. He won on a TKO 49 seconds into the first round. That is extremely impressive!
That’s all the news from Beijing and the Olympics for today. At least as it relates to Kazakhstan. I understand that Phelps chap is doing quite well.